Friday, 18 January 2013

The Architects

We went to see Shunt's new performance, The Architects the other night at the biscuit factory in Bermondsey. It was quite good, it effected me in a big way; I was crying before the show even started!
The maze was very immersive and eerie.The bizarre, random objects were quite unsettling, for example the chair on the ceiling, the phone and the painting with the face scratched off held you in suspense, making you feel something really quite scary was going to happen. When we finally got into this big room that looked like a ship, I felt so full of suspense, that I just started crying. I was terrified.The performance commenced and it was weird, funny, scary and unsettling. They used lighting to keep the suspense and show the passing of time, it also helped for comedic affect. They also used sound effects and there was a live band which added a lot to the experience. They also used projection to show a video of four weird people. It was really quite odd. I began to relax but instantly became afraid towards the end when they separated us from the men. The use of lighting was incredible here as they made me feel like I was in a very enclosed space, but when the lights came up on the warehouse the vastness was astonishing. The rope work was incredible and interesting. The ending just wasn't Quite up to scratch. It was very sudden, and I felt like it was a bit of an anti-climax. I feel they could've made the boat section shorter in order to prolong the end as I wanted just that bit extra. It taught me that experimental theatre really can be anything, and the importance of affecting the audience in a certain way.



No comments:

Post a Comment